Monday, March 21, 2005

Attention All Geeks: Ignore This One

It no doubt is a small thing to all you teens out there who wasted countless date-free nights in the basement teaching yourself HTML and how to code viruses while looking like you're coming from Romania, but through brute force and too much trial and error I finally managed to get the postings for this blog to start at the of the page rather than after the end of the sidebar.

Considering I was born before 1982 that's not all that bad. I grew up when really technologically advanced people could get their VCR (remember those?) to do something other than play movies and blink midnight. I've always enjoyed a love/hate relationship with computers in general and software in particular. I love the opportunity to hate when systems refuse to behave themselves. That affords the chance to apply logic, skill, patience, and whenever called for brute force until the program submits and chooses to see the world my way.

It always gives in. Eventually. And best of all, no system or piece of software has ever run to human resources whining about what an unreasonable ogre I am.

One can only hope that AI, bound to be developed within my lifetime, isn't granted full civil rights. What would the children do if their PS7 demanded weekends and holidays off?

No comments:

Post a Comment